Established in 1972, FSI has emerged from its humble beginnings to the leading polyurethane systems house in the world today.
Founded by David and Karen Keske, FSI began and remains a family owned and operated business. For nearly half a century, FSI has led the industry with innovative products that have paved the way for environmental responsibility and sustainability.
FSI’s patented Ecomate blowing agent technology is the most tested and proven environmentally friendly blowing agent to a family of polyurethane foam systems on the market today. Ecomate has zero GWP, zero ODP, and contains no volatile organic compounds.
The following timeline highlights FSI’s history of success through innovation.
FSI - Founded in 1972
• 1972 – David and Karen Keske found Foam Supplies, Inc. in their St. Louis, MO home. The couple’s passion for polyurethanes and commitment to serving their customers propels the growth of the company. Within two years, FSI moves the to a new and larger facility.
• 1974 – FSI develops FLUSH dispensing equipment to ensure a reliable, cost-effective option for dispensing rigid polyurethane foam.
• 1978 – Due to successful product and service offerings, polyurethane systems business continues to grow, facilitating another move to a larger production facility.
The 80's - FSI Business builds
• 1981 – Based on soaring product success in the efficacy of rigid foam insulation, FSI wins a contract to supply walk-in cooler insulation for the USS Theodore Roosevelt. The company later supplies insulation for the USS Abraham Lincoln (1984) and USS George Washington (1986).
• 1983 – Through continual innovative product development, FSI develops ElastaBond™ which is used in the production of track and field facilities at the 1984 Summer Olympics.
• 1984 – FSI expands production and builds a facility in Lewisville, Texas.
• 1986 – FSI patents the SLUG (Solvent-Less Urethane Gun), a dispensing gun that eliminates the need to flush equipment with toxic solvents.
• 1989 – FSI receives patent for the first HCFC-22 blowing agent system, which replaces CFC-11 and CFC-12 to comply with the Montreal Protocol. Additional patents for CFC-free technology are received in 1993.
The 90's - Continued Expansion in St. Louis, MO
• 1995 – Spurred by continuing growth, FSI builds new company headquarters and R&D facility in Earth City, MO.
• 1997 – FSI introduces FoamNail® two-part industrial adhesive. 2 years later, OnePart® single component industrial adhesive is introduced.
The 2000's - Birth and growth of Ecomate®
• 2002 – The original Ecomate® worldwide patent is filed and approved, with additional patents granted for international distribution in ’06, ’07, ’08, ’09 & ’10, and counting.
• 2003 – Ecomate® becomes US EPA SNAP listed. The following year Ecomate is granted VOC-exempt status by US EPA.
• 2005 – FSI begins to expand its international reach with strategic partnerships in multiple countries in Asia, EAME, and Latin America regions.
• 2008 – Ecomarine®, powered by Ecomate® technology, receives the Environmental Innovation Award at IBEX Trade Show for displaying innovative and impactful achievements in the foam supply industry.
• 2009 – Ecomate® blowing agent technology receives GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) approval from the FDA, signifying that it is safe for manufacturers to use in the development of products.
The 2010's - Continued Global Expansion
• 2010 – Significant McDonald’s food service equipment supplier converts all worldwide foaming locations to Ecofoam.
• 2011 – Direct global reach is established. FSI owned and operated location opens in New Delhi, India, proving the company’s commitment to making an impact on a global scale.
• 2012 – Technology evolution continues as FSI expands systems blending capacity to the flexible and CASE industries.
• 2015 – FSI completes improvements to SLUG, its pressurized dispensing unit, and introduces the new SLUG PRO.
• 2016 – As growth continues, FSI forms subsidiary Foam Supplies, SRL in Italy.
• 2019 – OptiTherm® C1 is certified as a Class I (A) fire resistant HCFO zero-GWP pour-in-place foam system.
The 2020's - Building for Growth
• 2020 – PolyShot™ Pro foam applicator is introduced as robust middle market solution for foaming equipment. Therma Froth® is introduced as a low-pressure SPF system ideal for small jobs and patchwork applications.
• 2021 – Conti-Foam – Designed for both metal and flexi-faced continuous lamination processing. FSI expands polyurethane systems with additional capacity to the St. Louis, MO campus.
• 2022 – FSI opens operations in UAE.
• 2023 – After 50 years in business, FSI’s Success through Innovation continues with cutting edge technology and our commitment to environmental stewardship.
Based in Earth City, MO, FSI has two 80,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facilities in the U.S., three international sites, distributors in 17 countries, and customers in 30+ industries worldwide. Industries served include automotive, boating & marine, commercial refrigeration, construction, HVAC, refrigerated transport and spray foam. Dedicated to Polyurethane Systems and chemistry that builds a better tomorrow.
Learn more at fsi.co and ecomatetechnology.com.